Palo Alto Networks today at AWS re:Invent 2019 said it intends to integrate VM-Series virtual firewalls and Prisma Cloud, the industry’s most complete Cloud Native Security Platform (CNSP), with AWS Outposts, a new service from Amazon Web Services, Inc. The planned integration will expand on the strategic partnership between Palo Alto Networks and Amazon Web Services.
AWS Outposts addresses the reality that hybrid cloud environments are the data centers of the future. As public cloud adoption continues to increase and more organizations find themselves managing hybrid cloud environments, the need for a unified, consistent security posture has never been greater. AWS Outposts brings native AWS services, infrastructure and operating models to virtually any data center, co-location space or on-premises facility.
VM-Series delivers in-line threat prevention and network security for any workload type, regardless of the underlying network or cloud. The planned integration between VM-Series and AWS Outposts will provide a consistent network security posture that aligns seamlessly with AWS infrastructure.
VM-Series will protect AWS Outposts workloads in three key ways:
- Inbound protection: Identify and stop inbound attacks originating in the public-facing internet.
- Outbound protection: Mitigate attempts at exfiltrating sensitive information by blocking connections to known bad destinations like command-and-control (C2) servers, and inspect the traffic for data patterns associated with sensitive data, such as credit card and Social Security numbers.
- Lateral movement prevention: Thwart attempts by attackers to move laterally to the rest of your AWS public cloud deployment.
Prisma Cloud will further increase the value to AWS users by integrating with AWS Outposts and providing security posture management and workload protection. Prisma Cloud empowers SecOps teams with deep visibility into the security posture of their cloud assets, plus it enables them to set policy guardrails. DevOps teams use Prisma Cloud to integrate vulnerability management into their development pipelines and protect containers, hosts and serverless at runtime. These capabilities will be extended to environments that leverage AWS Outposts.
The planned integration of Prisma Cloud will benefit AWS Outposts users in four main areas:
- Cloud visibility: Dynamically discover cloud assets as they are deployed on AWS Outposts infrastructure and gain insight into how they affect your overall security posture.
- Governance and compliance: Help meet government- and company-mandated compliance standards with ease by using out-of-the-box policies, generating one-click compliance reports and monitoring for misconfigurations.
- Workload protection: Protect containers, hosts and serverless throughout the development lifecycle with vulnerability management and runtime protection.
- Enable DevSecOps: Integrate security in your continuous integration pipelines and developer tools.
To find out about the VM-Series and Prisma Cloud integrations for AWS Outposts at re:Invent, join Palo Alto Networks security experts at booth #423.